Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A man walks into a bar with a duck on his head....

So this isn't my update of the past few months because I am on my iphone( product name drop: hint hint apple) and typing is a bear especially when your tired though auto correct is handy in this situation.

I observed today that I was in the moody for a revolution of sorts and work proved to me that a revolution , at least at work, needs to happen.

Let me preface by saying what I do is not brain surgery. I won't have a Nobel Peace prize anytime soon though my bobble head award I received a few years back is awesome . I cook ... I cook very well and I have always been one to want to use the best and freshest products I can get my hands on.

But since returning from the west coast I have sort of taking a wrong turn there for at least my family. Sad because I really can cook anything and if I don't know how then I figure it out by learning online or just applying my own knowledge .
But now that is changing .

I have always been a firm believer that the more smaller business you patronise the better the community and the earth. That's not to say I don't like bigger companies like Whole Foods, Trader Joes , Target and Ikea( these are my FAVORITE big company stores). But the uniqueness that the smaller business have to offer is worth the higher cost(sometimes I have notice that smaller business can offer items at a lower price than their bigger sister competitor ).
Given where I live this is not the case because the smaller business have not taken themselves serious as a contender against bigger companies. They just get by which I guess is on but really who wants to be mediocre?

A trend that I find funny and have talked about before is called Locavore ... Eating locally. I mean I am amused because why wouldn't we eat locally? Why we support local farms , farmers markets and producers? And wouldn't we have meat and cheese producer within a 100 miles of where we live? I don't even have a bakery besides te supermarket one and one at school. And we don't even mill our own grains. There is however a meat farm( ok my terms are wrong , shot me. They raise animals on good clean environment then slaughter them on premise.) an I also know of a bread baker near by. This along with many farms that produce a wide range of products..

But there is no movement. Nothing that screams " REVOLUTION " time for change.

As a nation we need to get back to a certain way of cooking on a whole. Time to make everyone understand that cooking food from scratch is a privilege and a right. These things shouldn't be taken lightly because when we waste food( that's a whole other rant) when we neglect our local producers we just ruin our bodies our families bodies and our earth.

One time to cause a stir..... This is it!





I have tons more to say .... Just very tired right now.


Things to think about:
Locavore
Slow food
Organic vs homegrown
Sustainability
Co-ops
Raw diets
Flexitarian diet
Farmers
Farmers markets
Local producers
Artisan products
Why DID the man walk into a bar with a duck on his head.

No comments: